Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What do Christmas trees, Motivation and Jesus have in Common?

I was sitting in my front room watching my husband build a fire and thinking about my plans for the day. Near the front window stood one of the two Christmas trees I still hadn't taken down. I had stopped turning them on after the Epiphany and they'd just become an unnoticed part of our home. I knew they were there, I knew I needed to take them down, yet somehow I'd managed to take my eyes and mind off of them even though they stood there waiting. That is when I realized what Christmas trees, motivation and Jesus all have in common. All three wait patiently for me to do my part.

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.
-- Zig Ziglar


All good things in life take effort and motivation is one of them. If you are sitting there waiting for the motivation to come so that you can make a positive change in yourself - STOP waiting! Decide WHY you want to change, inscribe it on your heart and then ACT. Your motivation will ebb and flow but the reason you want it will always be with you. I tell myself when my motivation is low that no one always feels motivated but successful people do it anyway!

So how is Jesus like my Christmas trees and Motivation?

Even a studied and devoted Christian can become complacent. We get caught up in worldly things - our day to day lives - and we see Jesus standing there like my Christmas trees and motivation. Standing there waiting. He is ever present in our homes and our lives waiting there for us to do our part. We have to stop walking past Him, barely acknowledging His presence, thinking that we are doing enough because we believe He is there. There is more to faith than belief. Everyday I learn more about this. Our relationship with God can't be one-sided. Healthy relationships are formed when both participants contribute. God has amazing plans for us, but again, ALL good things take effort. Ask God today to guide you on His path and then get up and walk with Him.

“And now, O Lord, for what do I wait?  My hope is in you." Psalm 39:7  

 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog. I just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for an award for newbie bloggers. Check out my blog at www.simplylifestuff.com for the details. Miss you and keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks Melanee! I will check out your blog!

      Delete