Sunday, December 9, 2012

Getting Through this Season

I Love this time of year! Its that time of year when we feel closer to our loved ones and even strangers. We smile more and eat more too! The feelings that this season brings can often be tied to certain foods because of the memories we created while sharing those foods with those we loved. While out doing my Christmas shopping I crave a latte' and pastry because I remember the times I shopped with my Mom and sister or my Mother-in-law and we'd stop and enjoy a break over something warm and sweet. Those memories bring me comfort and therefore so does that food. There are many examples of this. The traditional Christmas meals, the cookies and baked good that we share and of course the Holiday spirits. All of these foods and drinks bring us joy and comfort and remind us of great memories while helping us create more. And you know what...that's not totally wrong. We can't go through our lives completely depriving ourselves of the foods and drinks that bring us joy. God wants us to enjoy these things - in moderation.

Here is where I divulge my past weakness...I have lost weight many times. I have been able to make great strides when ever I decide to do so. But EVERY SINGLE time it was this time of year that sent me in a tail spin and I lost my motivation. Why? I justified overeating and poor choices with the feelings of the season that these foods created. And I failed to prepare myself to get back on track.

I am excited to gain some weight this season! Yes, you read that correctly. I don't doubt that I will gain a little, that is a side effect of celebration sometimes and we have to be ok with that. Every obstacle we face is an opportunity to learn and grow. I have finally armed myself with the tools I need to face these obstacles and I'm excited to make it thru this season for the first time ever knowing that I will probably gain some weight but I will not run away from my Challenges this time!

Here are my secrets...

1. Pray.
Yes God wants us to enjoy life and celebrate with all our senses this season. We should be in awe and grateful for the birth of our Lord. We should also be reminded thru time with God that Jesus was born so that he could suffer and die for us. So how does this relate to our eating choices? While we are justified in celebrating Christ we also have to remember that our bodies house the Holy Spirit and our bodies our not just a means for us to function but also a means for us to share God's love.(1Cor 6:19).

God knows that many of us struggle with this and He cares and wants to help us through. Don't assume that praying about food is beneath God. He cares about EVERYTHING that is important to us.

2. Choose Wisely
While I am aware that I will eat somethings these season that I have made an effort to avoid throughout the year, I am also aware that I can use the same motivation to choose to eat smaller portions and to make compromises. If the dessert is the most important part of your holiday celebration - maybe choose to skip the cocktails. Every compromise you make and every time you enjoy without indulging you empower yourself. Be proud of each good choice you make. And that leads me to #3...

3. Don't punish yourself
Recognize ahead of time that you will be eating or drinking differently than you have this year and accept that. Ignore the voices in your head that are berating you over that one bite of pumpkin pie. Celebrate in moderation - don't punish your body with excess and don't punish your mind and emotions with regret. If you make good choices in moderation there is nothing to regret.

4. Keep Moving
Don't slack off on the exercise because it is the holidays. The more you move the more you'll burn the additional calories. Even add some extra exercise...Take an evening walk and look at the neighborhood decorations and lights.

5. Be ready to take on your next Challenge
Living my life in a series of 90 Day Challenges has been the best choice I have made for my health. I have learned more and grown more healthy than with any other "diet" I have tried in the past. 2013 is quickly approaching and I challenge you to keep that in mind during this season. Prepare yourself to take on a Challenge by thinking and praying about why you want to do so. This is an excellent time of year to find your "why." Reflect on the things that matter to you and the reasons why choosing better health for yourself should be a top priority. Get yourself ready to up your game and become the person you know you can be.

Join me on January 5th for the World's Largest Resolution Rally! I want to encourage and inspire as many people as possible this year. Let's do it together. Text your resolution to (323)378-5863 and fill out the contact info on my website www.jenniferrburgess.bodybyvi.com and I will personally get in touch with you to discuss your goals and assist you in meeting them!

May you have a Blessed Christmas and a Rockin' New Year! I look forward to connecting with you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment